Interview with Artist Fyodor Pavlov by A. Hayden
Q. When did you discover your love of illustration?
I loved drawing ever since I can remember. I was lucky to grow up in a city and country (Moscow, Russia) that was very visually stimulating and inspiring, and in a family of mathematicians and economists, this was something very different that I took to very early on.
Q. Many of your pieces are of historical figures, pin-ups and provocative themes. What inspires you?
History and sexuality. Despite the fact that these two things are all around us in the world, I think a lot of it is very much under the surface of lowest common denominator mainstream culture, and something I want to showcase more of in my art. And of course the history of sexuality is an even more elusive topic and something that deeply moves and fascinates me, so I think it’s a strong undercurrent in my work.
Q. What artists have most influenced you?
Alhonse Mucha, Aubrey Beardsley, Otto von Dix, my husband Lawrence Gullo, Leon Bakst, Bronzino, Ivan Bilibin, Guido Crepax, J.C. Leyendecker, George Barbier. These are probably the constants, but the list shifts and goes on.
Q. If you could meet anyone (real, fake, alive or dead), who would it be and why?
Well, I have met him (only at a book signing, though I still effectively lost my ability to speak in his presence - but I did manage to give him a drawing!), but I would love to actually sit down and have tea with Mr. Stephen Fry. He’s an incredible Renaissance man, a kind, erudite and fascinating person, and a conversation with him would be the highlight of my life. I would probably bore him to tears.
Q. Who would be your ultimate client?
No, but really, anyone who loves and cares about the things I draw as much as I do. I actually have a couple of clients like that who have been loyal patrons of my art ever since I first began tentatively putting price tags on my work, and I appreciate them very much.
And I’d love to paint a carousel and the walls of a cabaret.
Art by Fyodor Pavlov, visit his tumblr: fyodorpavlov.
Yay, I got interviewed by this lovely blog! Thank you!
- richdarkbeautifulandrare likes this
- hismale likes this
- delmahabadi reblogged this from richdarkbeautifulandrare and added:
- richdarkbeautifulandrare reblogged this from fyodorpavlov
- kitschgirl65 likes this
- ohmygannicus likes this
- mythamphetamine reblogged this from the-goddess-of-chaos
- the-goddess-of-chaos reblogged this from mizenscen
- sangmavicktor likes this
- mad-demoiselle likes this
- patchyhero likes this
- skybirds likes this
- moetambourine likes this
- bestbukkake likes this
- miss-ratchet likes this
- littlelovelyghost likes this
- aestetiske likes this
- dangerousperson likes this
- magnoliaqueen123 likes this
- mandrak likes this
- hrtbrknhbby reblogged this from mizenscen
- rossellynchi likes this
- the-goddess-of-chaos likes this
- spikedsenses likes this
- mizenscen reblogged this from fyodorpavlov
- sukkahousut likes this
- reparations likes this
- wondertwin1 likes this
- psychward666twerkteam reblogged this from fyodorpavlov
- crimsoneliteproductions likes this
- tibastian likes this
- rampanthetters likes this
- epasosiaalinen likes this
- savoto reblogged this from fyodorpavlov
- enantodromia reblogged this from fyodorpavlov
- onceagarden likes this
- giniethepiratequeen reblogged this from fyodorpavlov
- middernachtlopper likes this
- marmorean likes this
- gottingen reblogged this from fyodorpavlov
- gottingen likes this
- lazarett likes this
- lacalacabby reblogged this from fyodorpavlov
- dzhugashvilii likes this
- monstrecharmant likes this
- paredolia likes this
- kloee likes this
- kiwithefruitcup reblogged this from fyodorpavlov
- wexfogg likes this
- mavenofmusic likes this